Monday, 2 December 2013

Stargate SG-1 Classic Fun & Speculative Crossover Episodes

Stargate SG-1 used to be one of my very favourite TV series, but I haven't seen it for years and only got as far as series six. I then fell behind and never got around to watching the rest. Now I've got a Love Film Instant subscription, and they've got all of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis on there. Happy days! Since it has been so long I decided to re-watch some of the old stuff, starting with the feature length pilot, Children of the Gods.

For those of you who somehow missed Stargate SG-1 (where were you?), it follows on from the 1994 film Stargate, starring Kurt Russell & James Spader. Thousands of years ago, aliens visited Earth, specifically ancient Egypt, via a Stargate. They were nasty guys who kidnapped lots of people and seeded the galaxy with them (so they could later come and use their descendants as slaves). The Stargate on Earth was then buried by some intelligent Egyptians who realised that this would stop nasty baddies coming through and enslaving/kidnapping them. Cue thousands of years later when it is rediscovered and ends up in American hands. They get it working, and in the film find it opens a wormhole to another world.

At the start of the TV series they realise it doesn't just link to one world, but thousands of worlds across the galaxy, you just need to dial the right address. This opens up a lot of potential storylines, as evidenced by more than 200 episodes of SG-1, plus over 100 episodes of Stargate Atlantis, and then there's Stargate Universe & TV movies...

It's great to be getting back into Stargate SG-1, I've been meaning to for years. Since first watching SG-1 however, I've watched  a lot more TV, and my tastes have broadened out of sci-fi into all sorts of other genres. Re-watching SG-1 got me thinking about possible crossovers with other series. As there were doctors operating on someone with an alien parasite in them, this got me thinking of Greys Anatomy, House etc. I also reckon that a lot of the artifacts recovered by the SG-1 team end up in Warehouse 13.What really gets me excited though is a crossover between Stargate SG-1 and The West Wing... I mean come on there's lots of politics that crops up throughout SG-1. General Hammond is always on the phone with the President, and there's various Presidential advisors that crop up from time to time. In fact I'm sure there's a major thread in series 6 with the President in several episodes. It would be great chuck these two great series together...

Agree? Disagree? What crossovers would you love to see?