Saturday, 15 March 2014

Podcasts: The Infinite Monkey Cage

I just love it when I discover something new whether it is a new author, a new website, new game or something else to really ignite my interest. Now I've really enjoyed listening to podcasts for a few years now, on and off. I find it much easier to listen to them than I do to audiobook - probably because when I'm listening I'm doing something else at the same time, like driving, painting the spare room, doing the dishes... Like a typical man I'm rather rubbish at multi-tasking and if I'm concentrating on that other thing, I'll lose the narrative thread of an audiobook, whereas a podcast is lighter and easier to follow.


I've been aware of The Infinite Monkey Cage podcast for a while now, being a fan of Brian Cox's TV series. Up until now I've never listened to it before but earlier this week was looking for something a bit more real and useful than science fiction or board gaming podcasts so thought I'd give it a go. It is an approx 30 minute podcast taking an irreverent look at science, co-hosted by physicist and presenter Brian Cox and comedian Robin Ince. There's usually a couple of guests and a studio audience and each episode is on a particular topic. It's very informative and funny at the same time.

So far I've listened to episodes on Space Tourism and Popular Science as well as a special episode where they answer listeners questions. The great thing is there's about 50 episodes in total going back about 5 years now, all available to download from the BBC, and I've heard there's a new series starting in the next couple of months. I'm thinking I'll have got through a lot of the back catalogue before then...

For more details on the show and to download episodes, go here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/timc