Saturday, 1 November 2014

A November Writing Challenge

Sorry for the long delay - almost a month - since my last post. It's been kind of a busy October, packed weekends and my boss at week taking a three weeks off for a Caribbean Cruise leading me to be rather busy. Hopefully November should be different though...

I've done quite a bit of writing over the last few years, articles, blog posts and the like, but I haven't done any fiction writing for more than five years. It was a decision I took because I was mostly reading non-fiction at the time, and so writing non-fiction made most sense. However these days I'm mostly reading fiction, and I've been itching to get back to having a go at fiction again. It's November, and so I could do NanoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month, for anyone that doesn't know, is a writing challenge each year where you aim to write 50,000 words of a novel in November. However, I don't think it is the best starting point for a return to fiction writing. Even if I achieved it, I'd have a half finished, really crap novel. I don't have any illusions about this. I wasn't a particularly good writer of fiction in the first place, I'm sure I'm a lot worse now. But with practice I can get better - I hope.

So for this November, I'm doing my own challenge. I'm going to try and write four short stories this month, one a week. Each story will probably be between two and five thousand words. This will help me get back into writing, and if by some chance I think any of them are half decent I can always submit them for publication (otherwise I'll probably just publish them on here). I've got a few ideas, but I've not fixed on all the stories to write yet, except that a couple of them will be science fiction, one or two won't be. I'm planning the first now, hopefully will start writing tomorrow. It's a historical fiction story for a competition. More details soon.